CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Basis of "Pray for Our President Week"

The nation in which we live today is in a desperate situation. No one denies that. Some would agree with this by pointing to the financial crisis. Others would point to our freedoms, once taken for granted, which are now quickly disappearing. I beg to present one more option.

The financial crisis and loss of freedoms are both side effects of a much greater issue. The United States of America has turned its back on its previous claim to being "One Nation Under God." Our current president is making every effort to keep Christianity far from himself and from the public scene.

We as a nation are living in sin, and just like the Israelites of the Old Testament, we have found ourselves in the hand of God's wrath. Still, there is hope, because we serve a God of mercy. Remember the promise in 2 Chronicles 7:14-15, " If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to prayer made in this place."

THERE IS HOPE!!!
...but not if we just sit down and wring our hands. The promise has a condition: "If My people... will humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways." Humble prayer, which includes seeking God's face, (listening for His leading) comes first, then comes revival - a fresh surrender of lives to Christ, beginning with His own people - and finally God's mercy on the nation that seeks Him and asks for it. Humble, earnest prayer is the ultimate here. It is the stipulation on God's promise of mercy - both on the national level, as this 2 Chronicles 7:14-15 shows, and on the personal level, "Whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13, NASB) More than that, it is powerful. God has promised in Matthew 18:19-20, "Again, I assure you: If two of you on earth agree about any matter that you pray for, it will be done for you by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there among them." There is only one hope for our nation, and that is for believers, together, to get on our knees in prayer. Not only is that our only hope, it is our greatest Hope, because God has promised that He will answer humble prayer with His mercy.

0 comments: